Sunday, February 24, 2013

Why Do These Peru Students Love Their Service Sites?


Youthlinc students serve at many organizations around the State of Utah.  Every student chooses their main service site for different reasons.  Most students choose their site because they have a strong connection to the organization or a commitment to the mission.  

What makes these students love their service sites so much? 
They tell us in their own words: 


Melissa Melendez
"I volunteer at the Park City Christian Center. My main job is reception which is to assist anyone who walks in with the variety of services the Center offers.  I have become an expert on answering questions regarding donating, volunteering, the food pantry, the thrift store, etc.  Many people need help figuring out where to live and tell them about a program called roommate round-up.  I also explain how the food pantry works. It's really cool volunteering here, especially during the winter season because a lot of people from different countries like, Brazil, Argentina, PERU, and many more come in.   It is really interesting and rewarding to hear them talk about life in another country."




Broc Jones

"For my main service site I am working with Operation Smile by packing and organizing donations. Operation Smile is a service group that goes to Central American countries like Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador; where they perform dental operations. I found out about this program through my friends who is committed to the organization.  I package toys, blankets and other miscellaneous items to be taken to needy countries.  I volunteer when I can or whenever help is needed. This year I hope to join the group to El Salvador where we will distribute the donations collected."











Lynette Dueñas
"Real Life in Salt Lake City has been an amazing experience.  I have enjoyed getting to know the refugee teens and have the chance to hang out with them. Every time I go I learn something new and I have become more patient and grateful for the things I have. The kids are so full of energy and love to play games like “partner tag.” My favorite activity has been ice skating at the Gallivan center. It was freezing but it was great to see kids who had never been ice skating before accomplish a small goal and try new things. My job at Real Life is to recognize teenagers and volunteers each week as they improve their skills and do simple act of kindness. I can’t wait to spend more time with them and teach them this year!




No comments:

Post a Comment